Cornbread. Made with maseca. In a skillet. Seriously delicious. This recipe is courtesy of The Dude.
- 1 cup maseca
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp xantham gum
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbs softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbs honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degress F. Place cast iron skillet in oven (we used a 12 inch) so it can preheat with the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Smoosh in (the technical term) all but 1 tbs of the butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and honey.
- Add wet ingredients into dry. Mix well.
- (Carefully!) Remove pan from oven and grease with remaining 1 tbs of butter.
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 21 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or place on rack to cool.
Next time, we’ll try adding jalapenos, cheese, and/or corn. Yum!